A Subject Guide to the Le Faye Edition of Jane Austen's Letters
This subject guide is an index to Jane Austen's Letters, edited by Deirdre Le Faye (Oxford University Press, 3rd edition, 1995). The index is the creation of Del Cain, a retired librarian living in Orlando, Florida. Mr. Cain is not associated with Oxford University Press or Ms. Le Faye. In creating the index, Mr. Cain wished to benefit readers and scholars of Jane Austen and her work.
Notes on the Index
Writers and their work:
- Poets are listed alphabetically under "Poets" and playwrights under "Playwrights."
- Other writers are listed under "Authors."
- Books are listed according to category: "Non-fiction Books," "Novels," "Poetry," and "Plays."
Personal information about Jane Austen is listed under "Austen, Jane" (examples: "Clothing & Dresses," "Dancing at Balls," "Illnesses").
Reference Books used in explicating the Letters
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Goode's World Atlas
- Taylor's Encyclopedia of Gardening
- Webster's Biographical Dictionary
- Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language
Internet: Advanced Book Exchange (www.abe.com), (for book titles).
Titles for the ranks of Nobility were taken from Webster's Biographical Dictionary. G. & C. Merriam, c. 1976.
Subject Guide ©2002 Del Cain